The effective date of most of the legislation in this volume is July 1, 2011. See SDCL 2-14-16.
Legislation with other effective dates will contain the effective date as one of its provisions.
1. EO 11-01 Executive Branch of state government reorganized.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
2.  SB 2 Bureau of Administration statutes revised.
3.  SB 3 Use of the state seal revised.
4.  SB 33 Sobriety program may include ignition interlock devices.
5.  HB 1228 Bonding limit increased for the four technical institutes.
6.  HB 1230 The large project development fund.
7.  HB 1234 Reporting requirement to the Board of Economic Development, changed.
8.  SB 17 Property tax exemption for property leased by the Science and Technology
9.  HB 1099 Local historic preservation projects.
10.  HB 1003 Rules may be reverted when the rules impose more than minimal cost on certain
units of local government.
11.  SB 101 Penalty imposed for willful denial of open records.
12.  SB 12 Visitation Grant Commission created.
13.  HB 1242 Authorize tribal identification cards for certain legal and financial purposes.
14.  HB 1246 An appropriation to reimburse certain family physicians, midlevel practitioners,
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
15.  SB 194 Create a Wind Energy Competitive Advisory Task Force.
16.  SB 109 Lobbyist registration fees and penalty to fail to timely file lobbyist reports.
17.  HB 1139 Appointive officers may lobby.
18.  HB 1004 Codify legislation enacted in 2010.
19.  HB 1221 Teen driving task force.
PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
20.  HB 1022 Veterans credited service under retirement and deferred compensation revised.
21.  HB 1024 South Dakota Retirement Board of Trustees, process to fill a vacancy revised.
22.  HB 1023 Survivor and disability benefits for children, certain requirements changed.
PUBLIC FISCAL ADMINISTRATION
23.  HB 1251 Fiscal year 2012 General Appropriations Act.
24.  SB 190 The General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2011, revisited.
25.  HB 1194 South Dakota endowment fund created.
26.  SB 68 Public funds may be invested in bonds issued by political subdivisions or
agencies of the state.
27.  SB 189 Budgetary procedures relating to certain funds received from the federal
28.  HB 1081 Political subdivisions not required to purchase an accounting manual.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
29.  HB 1231 The state may sell certain surplus real estate.
30.  HB 1232 Sale of certain surplus real estate, the deposit of the proceeds, and revision of
provisions relating to the sale of surplus property.
31.  SB 168 State purchases of supplies and services, procedure altered.
32.  HB 1007 Building Authority may issue revenue bonds for maintenance and repair of
facilities under the control of the Board of Regents.
33.  SB 52 Appropriation for the State Veterans' Home.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT GENERALLY
34.  HB 1114 Revamped conditions under which contracts with local officials are permitted.
35.  HB 1044 Revise voting requirements in water project districts.
36.  HB 1179 Political subdivisions may establish deferred compensation plans.
37.  SB 129 County employees may assist in the execution of United States passport
38.  SB 108 Appointment of an alternate board member for the county legal expense relief
39.  SB 67 Revise the minimum size of an improvement district.
40.  SB 69
Revise the authority of counties relating to veterans memorials.
41.  SB 66
Agricultural land leased by counties, revised.
42.  SB 98 Election requirement concerning the employment of a city manager.
43.  HB 1096 Repeal certain provisions relating to the appointment of municipal officers.
44.  SB 80 Time limit concerning actions for recovery of damages for personal injury or
45.  HB 1092 Time frame revised for hearings to vacate municipal streets or alleys.
46.  SB 89 Clarify municipal fees for street maintenance.
47.  SB 75 Conference between the directors of equalization and county commissioners,
48.  HB 1025 Internal Revenue Code references updated.
49.  HB 1001 Agricultural land value adjustment factors, revised.
50.  HB 1002 Other productivity data may be used to assess agricultural land.
51.  SB 102 Outdated provision repealed regarding the assessment of property for school
52.  HB 1057 County auditor not required to assist in locating unregistered mobile homes.
53.  SB 112 County treasurers to collect delinquent property tax.
54.  HB 1029 Telecommunications company tax revised.
55.  HB 1157 Court appearance bond premiums included in insurance company premium and
56.  SB 147 Nexus for the purpose of collecting of sales and use tax.
57.  SB 39 Religious educational institution sales tax exemption revised.
58.  HB 1248 Delay the sunset clause for the one-half percent increase in the gross receipts tax
imposed on visitor-related businesses.
59.  SB 146 Sales and use tax collection based on electronic out-of-state sales.
60.  SB 42 Motor fuel tax exemption clarified for certain bulk transfers.
61.  HB 1215 Motor fuel tax use and distribution of the motor fuel tax revised.
62.  SB 196 Revise the ethanol production incentive payment.
63.  SB 40 Uniform administration of state taxes clarified.
64.  HB 1028
Tax return and remittance due dates changed.
65.  HB 1247
An appropriation to fund tax refunds.
66.  SB 11
State Conservation Commission appropriation.
PLANNING, ZONING AND HOUSING PROGRAMS
67.  SB 113 Zoning change notice requirements revised.
68.  HB 1053 Notice requirement to abutting counties when changing the county plan or
69.  HB 1169 Special zoning areas revamped.
70.  HB 1180 Outdated provisions regarding land surveying repealed.
71.  HB 1118 Extraterritorial jurisdiction of municipalities.
72.  SB 94 Building energy codes updated.
73.  SB 90 Tax increment financing districts.
74.  SB 142 The advice and consent authority of the Senate reduced.
75.  HB 1173 Local election official to notify the Secretary of State when an election date is
76.  HB 1130 Adult children of overseas citizens may vote in the state.
77.  HB 1051 Deadlines set for the transmission of voter registration files.
78.  HB 1104 Deadline revised for withdrawing from a primary election.
79.  HB 1141 Dates set for absentee voting and printing ballots.
80.  SB 95 Printing of voting rights notices.
81.  SB 130 Secretary of State to conduct certain local elections.
82.  HB 1162 Secretary of State to allow a person in charge of election to use the state system.
83.  SB 93 An organization may contribute to a political action committee.
84.  HB 1094 Campaign finance disclosure statements.
85.  HB 1093 Required school district reorganization criteria revised.
86.  HB 1080 Due date for annual financial reports of school districts.
87.  HB 1208 Certain education related requirements changed.
88.  HB 1070
School districts to employ certified school counselors.
89.  SB 200
School district fund balances.
90.  SB 152
General fund levies of a school district revised.
91.  SB 8
Reserves for school district general fund, revised.
92.  SB 133
State aid distribution to sparse school districts prorated.
93.  SB 111
School districts may expend capital outlay funds for an additional time for
94.  HB 1133
Application to be used to excuse a child from school.
95.  SB 77
Transportation for open-enrolled students regulated.
96.  SB 65
Nonpublic schools may be members of the South Dakota High School Activities
97.  SB 149
Concussion policy for youth athletes.
98.  SB 192
Allocations revised for disabilities in the state aid for special education formula.
99.  HB 1235
Board of Regents' performance improvement fund created.
100.  HB 1008
Higher education facilities funds may be expended for facilities occupied under
101.  HB 1110
Temporary increase in state aid to education.
102.  HB 1175
Jump start scholarship program established.
103.  HB 1249
Authorize the carryover of the fiscal year 2011 state aid to special education
104.  SB 10
Dairy manufacturing plant appropriation.
105.  HB 1042 Clerk of Courts' duties revised relating to the assignment of a judgment.
106.  HB 1043 Jurisdictional amount clarified in a small claims court proceeding.
COURTS AND JUDICIARY
107.  HB 1041 Statutory duties revised for the presiding judge of each judicial circuit.
108.  HB 1038 Fees revised for the electronic transmission of court records.
109.  HB 1040 Clerk magistrates may accept certain penalties.
110.  SB 13 Evidentiary rule relating to a child's statement in an abuse case, revised.
PERSONAL RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
111.  HB 1087 Trespass liability revised.
112.  HB 1145 Identify the law applicable to claims for damages.
113.  HB 1233 Liability limited from damages caused by certain aviation products.
114.  HB 1019 Persons included in the protections afforded law enforcement and judicial
115.  HB 1067 Look back period revised for the enhancement of penalties for multiple assaults
and violations of protection orders.
116.  SB 35 Taking pictures without consent made a crime.
117.  SB 32 Sex offender registration requirements revised.
118.  SB 34 Possession of any substance, excluding alcohol, intended for the purpose of
intoxication made a crime.
119.  SB 14 Elderly or disabled adult abuse mandatory reporting.
120.  SB 176 The crime of human trafficking.
121.  SB 36 Tribal member added to the Law Enforcement Officers Standards Commission.
122.  HB 1079 Purchase of firearms by residents and out-of-state residents, certain provisions
123.  HB 1149 Legal residents may obtain a concealed pistol permit.
124.  SB 173 Details of alleged sex crimes against minors may be suppressed.
125.  HB 1020 Disclosure of parole eligibility at sentencing repealed.
PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
126.  HB 1017 Offender identification information may be released.
127.  HB 1021 Parole file inspection requirements changed.
128.  HB 1018 Partial early final discharge from parole created.
129.  SB 37 Appropriation for the construction and renovation of a combined minimum
security and parole facility in Rapid City.
130.  SB 114 Parties to a divorce may be restrained from making changes to insurance
131.  SB 178 The rights and duties of joint legal custodians changed.
132.  HB 1011 Domestic abuse program requirements revised.
133.  HB 1154 Persons convicted of crimes involving domestic abuse to support domestic
PUBLIC WELFARE AND ASSISTANCE
134.  SB 191 The sales tax on food refund program revised.
UNIFORM PROBATE CODE
135.  HB 1062 The Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
136.  SB 59 Counties not responsible for constructing, repairing, and maintaining roads
contained in improvement districts.
137.  HB 1085 Political advertising prohibited in highway rights-of-way.
138.  HB 1027 Trailer licensing revised.
139.  HB 1192 Registration fees increased for motor vehicles.
140.  HB 1207 Consignment or auction of out-of-state titled vehicles and motorcycles.
141.  HB 1256 The requirements for the sale of new or used vehicles, revised.
142.  HB 1026 Fleet licensing requirements repealed.
143.  HB 1060 Motor vehicle license fees distribution revised.
144.  SB 18 Commercial driver license requirements changed.
145.  SB 55 Allow hunting of coyotes from snowmobiles.
146.  SB 5 Warning signs for bridges and the maximum weight allowed, requirements
147.  SB 20 Driving under the influence fourth and fifth offense, punishment changed.
148.  SB 28 Limited speed zones through highway work areas, authority to create revised.
149.  SB 4 Pedestrian control requirements updated.
150.  SB 6 Sisseton National Guard Armory transferred to Sisseton.
151.  HB 1245 The salary and travel reimbursements changed for county veterans' service
152.  SB 53 Veteran's rights, benefits, and services revised.
153.  SB 51 Nursing care renovation at the veterans' home, appropriation.
PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
154.  SB 140 Access to critical nursing facilities.
155.  SB 22 Birth centers licensed and regulated.
156.  SB 139 Foster home care for veterans exempt from state regulation.
157.  SB 21 Specialty resort and vacation home exit door requirements modified.
158.  HB 1240 Cottage food operations exempt from certain licensure requirements.
159.  SB 15 Accredited prevention and treatment facility requirements changed.
160.  HB 1015 Controlled substances list increased.
161.  HB 1217 Abortion services regulated.
162.  HB 1056 Additional time period for fireworks.
163.  HB 1014 911 emergency surcharge criteria modified.
164.  HB 1244 An appropriation for costs related to disasters in the state.
165.  SB 1 Style and form revisions for Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
166.  HB 1009 Board of Water Management administrative rule authority revised.
167.  SB 158 Revise rule-making requirements related to in situ uranium and other mining
168.  SB 62 Compensation and expenses for sanitary district board members.
169.  SB 61 Allow limited contracting between sanitary district board members and the
170.  SB 48 Consumption of alcoholic beverages in public, regulation revised.
171.  HB 1119 Procedure retooled for reissuing certain alcoholic beverage licenses.
172.  SB 121
Allow combination on and off-sale malt beverage and on and off-sale wine
173.  SB 193
Counties may issue additional on-sale alcoholic beverage licenses.
174.  HB 1174
County may issue alcoholic beverage license for the county fairgrounds.
175.  SB 103
Special alcoholic beverage licenses issued in conjunction with special events.
176.  SB 46
State treasurer to receive cost penalties in certain alcoholic beverage cases.
PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
177.  SB 50 Emergency medical technician certification revised.
178.  HB 1045 Dental hygienists may provide preventive and therapeutic services.
179.  SB 27 Electrical Commission, certain procedures revised.
180.  SB 47 Real estate licensing revised.
181.  SB 49 Sale of real estate without a license may be enjoined.
182.  HB 1032 Permanent injunction may be imposed upon any person engaged in unlicensed
183.  HB 1031 National registry fee for real estate appraisers increased.
184.  HB 1033 Appraisal management companies regulated.
185.  SB 16 Social work licensee standards changed.
186.  HB 1013 Board of Examiners of Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists
187.  SB 151 Massage therapist regulation revisited.
188.  HB 1216 Franchise agreements for motor fuel dealers cannot prohibit use of blender
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
189.  HB 1010 Bulk pesticide definition changed.
ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
190.  SB 187 The dairy inspection fund revised.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
191.  SB 106 Reciprocal trapping licenses authorized.
192.  HB 1006 Air guns may be used for hunting.
193.  HB 1047
Revise prairie dog season.
194.  HB 1037
Revise notice provisions for hunting in Black Hills Fire Protection District.
195.  HB 1005
Private shooting preserves, requirements changed.
196.  SB 70 Private transfer fee obligations regulated.
197.  HB 1219 Eviction notice requirements revised.
198.  SB 76 Gift certificates and closed-loop prepaid cards exempt from the unclaimed
199.  SB 110 Collateral real estate mortgages revised.
200.  SB 184 Appropriations for various water and environmental purposes.
201.  SB 119 Revise provisions for water user district surety bonds.
202.  SB 120 Revise amount of compensation for water user district directors.
203.  SB 122 Revise procedures for expenditure of water user district funds.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
204.  SB 24 Rate case filing fees increased.
205.  SB 19 Motor carrier safety requirements updated.
206.  HB 1069 Electronic communication devices defined for certain crimes involving
threatening or harassing calls.
207.  SB 25 Telephone solicitation account funds, use revised.
208.  SB 132 Incumbent electric utilities have the right of first refusal to construct and own
electric transmission lines.
209.  SB 26 Gas or electric public utility implementation of a proposed rate or practice
210.  SB 23 Pipeline safety regulation, federal citations updated.
211.  HB 1016 Grain buyers, warehouses and weighmasters regulation revised.
FIDUCIARIES AND TRUSTS
212.  HB 1155 Trust provisions revised.
213.  HB 1035 Collection process for the annual insurance company examination assessment
214.  SB 44 Representations and warranties regulated in insurance and annuity applications.
215.  HB 1034 Safety rating discounts for older drivers, requirement repealed.
216.  SB 43 Health insurance standards revised for patient protection.
217.  HB 1146 Copayment or coinsurance limits for chiropractic services.
218.  SB 9 State risk pool eligibility requirements modified.
219.  SB 38 Health insurance reform.
220.  SB 45 Reporting requirement repealed regarding medically uninsurable individuals.
221.  HB 1058 Motor vehicle defined for the purpose of supplemental automobile liability
222.  HB 1036 Guaranty association date revised to submit reports to the director of insurance.
223.  HB 1030 Surplus lines insurance regulation changed.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
224.  HB 1148 Minimum wage for seasonal employees revised.
225.  SB 125 Time period revised for computing unemployment insurance employer
226.  SB 64 Interest payments on negative balance in employer's experience rating account
credited to rating account of employer.
227.  SB 86 Employer investment fee revised.
SUPREME COURT RULES AND ORDERS
228. 10-04 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-15-9.
229. 10-05 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-26A-69.1.
230. 10-06 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-26A-89.
231. 10-07 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Medical Privacy to be
designated at SDCL 19-2-13.
232. 10-08 In the Matter of the Amendment of Canon 3(B)(13) Code of Judicial Conduct.
233. 10-09 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Expanded Media
Coverage for Trial Court Proceedings to be designated at SDCL 16-20-1 et seq.
234. 10-10 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 19-15-1.
235. 10-11 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 19-15-2.
236. 10-12 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 19-15-3.
237. 10-13 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Federal Rule of
Evidence 412 to be designated at SDCL 19-12-15.
238. 10-14 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Federal Rule of
Evidence 705 to be designated at SDCL 19-5-5.
239. 10-15 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Federal Rule of
Evidence 807 to be designated at SDCL 19-16-40.
240. 10-16 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.2.
241. 10-17 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.3.
242. 10-18 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.4.
243. 10-19 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.7.
244. 11-01 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-26(b)(4).
245. 11-02 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-26A-13.
246. 11-03 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-26A-16.
247. 11-04 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-12B-1.3.
248. 11-05 In the Matter of the Amendment of Canon 3(B)(7) Code Of Judicial
249. 11-06 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.1.
250. 11-07 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.2.
251. 11-08 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.3.
252. 11-09 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.4.
253. 11-10 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.5.
254. 11-11 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.6.
255. 11-12 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.7.
256. 11-13 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.8.
257. 11-14 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.9.
258. 11-15 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-18-2.10.
259. 11-16 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 19-2-13.
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE