SOUTH DAKOTA CONSTITUTION
1. HJR 1005 Allows for more than one classification of agricultural property.
2. HJR 1007 Proposes an amendment to the Constitution to allow local initiatives to provide for the cooperation and organization of local government.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
3. HB 1079 Census 2000 redistricting data, appropriation to acquire.
4. SB 6 The Board of Economic Development may participate in loan guarantees.
5. SB 5 Value-added agriculture fund for economic development established.
6. SB 15 Inmate matters excluded from certain administrative procedures.
7. HB 1090 Administrative appeals, procedure revised.
8. SB 202 Administrative appeals, venue revised.
9. HB 1192 Hearing examiner, time allowed to recuse increased.
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
10. SB 65 1998 Legislation, codified.
PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
11. SB 145 Annual leave, donation of leave for certain purposes allowed.
12. SB 58 Sheltered workshop employees compensation revised.
13. HB 1198 Expense reimbursement procedures for certain state government officers or employees revised.
14. SB 11 Jailers included as Class B members of the South Dakota Retirement System.
15. SB 10 Benefits improved for South Dakota Retirement System members.
16. SB 12 Surviving spouse of South Dakota Retirement System member, benefits improved.
17. HB 1298 Board of Regents, provisions regarding contract negotiations for faculty and exempt employees revised.
18. HB 1303 Local governments protected from certain suits over the Y2K computer problem.
19. HB 1179 The General Appropriations Act.
20. HB 1196 Investment council may invest certain public funds.
21. HB 1004 Performance-based budgeting, repealed.
22. SB 237 Funds transferred from the special racing and the South Dakota-bred racing funds to the Departments of Social Services and Education and Cultural Affairs for certain programs. Appropriation.
23. SB 218 State Conservation Commission, appropriation.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
24. SB 221 Exchange of school lands, certain provisions revised.
25. SB 26 Commissioner of School and Public Lands authorized to sell certain land.
26. HB 1036 Bid security waived by the state for small projects.
27. HB 1035 Performance and payment bonds waived by the state for small projects.
28. HB 1034 Competitive bids not required for the purchase of natural gas.
29. HB 1184 Harmony Hill girls school transferred to the State of South Dakota.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT GENERALLY
30. HB 1098 Bond issue by two or more political subdivisions, procedure revised.
31. HB 1172 Counties authorized to hold certain board meetings outside of the county seat.
32. SB 9 County registers of deeds and sheriffs, certain remittance procedures revised.
33. SB 175 Register of Deeds Office, fees revised.
34. SB 90 Passport applications, register of deeds may assist.
35. SB 16 County reimbursed by state for transportation of inmates.
36. HB 1059 Elected board members for an improvement district, procedure established to assign staggered terms.
37. SB 103 Municipality, election procedure to form revised.
38. SB 112 Municipalities with commissioner form of government may determine frequency of meetings.
39. HB 1143 Municipality or school district may open their polling place earlier.
42. SB 177 Secured party access to the state's computer system to cancel liens, pilot
43. SB 115 Agricultural land, use of marshland soils rating to set value.
44. SB 1 Real property valuation procedure revised.
45. SB 161 Manufactured homes reclassified as real property for tax purposes.
46. HB 1146 Mobile home taxes, procedure to determine unpaid taxes revised.
47. SB 67 Equalization of property tax assessments, certain dates revised.
48. HB 1003 Appellant may be ordered to pay attorney's fees if the appellant is unsuccessful in a property assessment appeal.
49. HB 1151 School district, set the general fund tax levy.
50. HB 1266 Requirements for owner-occupied classification revised.
51. HB 1260 Tax refunds for elderly or disabled persons.
52. SB 87 Property tax bill, annual tax bill information revised.
53. HB 1140 Property tax certificates, rate of interest decreased.
54. SB 132 Inheritance tax exemption revised.
55. HB 1091 Inheritance tax, confidentiality of certain records.
56. HB 1023 Internal Revenue Code references in the state tax code, updated.
57. SB 111 Professional employer organization, gross receipts taxed.
58. HB 1051 Fuel excise tax provisions revised.
59. SB 233 Certain taxes and fees increased to provide funding for highway maintenance.
60. SB 28 Escrow fund established to pay tobacco claims.
61. SB 51 Vehicle dealers subject to uniform tax administration procedure hearings.
62. SB 110 Tax returns and payments, electronic filing revised.
63. HB 1060 Agricultural land valuation, procedure revised.
PLANNING, ZONING, AND HOUSING PROGRAMS
64. HB 1096 Appointment of county planning commission made permissive.
69. HB 1018 Election judges and clerks, title and duties revised.
70. SB 33 Challenge procedure for certain election petitions created.
71. SB 35 Voter registration master list, updating requirements revised.
72. HB 1288 Election procedures, time frames revised.
73. SB 34 Certificate for nomination, requirements revised.
74. HB 1017 Election official responsible to select order of candidates for the same office on the ballot.
75. HB 1158 Counties may participate in simulated elections.
76. HB 1186 Public schools or libraries required to restrict access to obscene materials by
77. HB 1084 School boards, time frame for action on petitions established.
78. HB 1016 School district elections, certain procedures revised.
79. SB 205 Tax levy revised for schools sending students to an adjoining school district.
80. SB 209 School consolidation, incentives revised.
81. SB 89 Students attending Black Hills Forest High School not included in a school district's average daily membership.
82. HB 1031 State aid to education provisions revised.
83. HB 1138 Manufactured homes, method to compute local effort for state aid purposes revised.
84. SB 127 School districts, financial arrangements with the Health and Educational Facilities Authority revised.
85. SB 24 Contracting school district within Indian reservation not required to reorganize.
86. HB 1075 Open school enrollment procedure revised and a tuition requirement repealed.
87. HB 1225 Student transfers within a school district, transportation requirements revised.
104. HB 1064 Court automation surcharge revised.
105. HB 1071 Magistrate judges, residency requirement revised.
106. HB 1061 Juror service, exemption from service revised.
107. HB 1103 Jurors, per diem increased.
108. HB 1076 Visitation Enforcement Program Implementation Task Force, continuation and appropriation.
109. SB 70 Witness fees and mileage, amount revised.
111. HB 1137 Outdoor recreational purpose, definition revised.
112. HB 1230 Checks, drafts, and orders not paid when presented, damages provided.
113. HB 1213 Sport shooting range, not considered a nuisance under certain circumstances.
114. HB 1208 Spousal joint tenancy may be terminated upon certain conditions.
115. SB 186 Liability related to Y2K problems, limited.
116. HB 1301 Firearm manufacture and sale, liability limited.
117. SB 130 Assault, provisions relating to third offense revised.
118. SB 228 Assault in a jail or juvenile detention center, penalty increased.
119. SB 162 Pedophilia, criminal penalty for second offense increased.
120. SB 171 Driving privileges suspended in connection with a conviction for vandalism.
121. HB 1062 Magistrate judges, duties revised.
122. HB 1022 Imprisonment increased as a condition of probation or suspension of sentence.
123. SB 109 Death penalty, execution dates announced.
124. SB 20 Restitution ordered when the defendant sentenced to state penitentiary.
125. HB 1027 Crime victim compensation benefit maximum increased.
126. SB 17 Victims of crime, notification process revised.
127. SB 30 Victims of stalking, certain rights provided.
128. SB 80 Controlled weapons, disposition revised.
PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
129. SB 214 County lien for costs of jail confinement.
130. SB 131 Parole violator detention expenses revised.
131. SB 19 Inmate clemency applications, procedure revised.
132. SB 18 Inmate may waive noncompliance hearing with Board of Pardons and Paroles.
133. HB 1113 Correctional or detention facility, may release certain information.
134. HB 1025 Information may be released to the media in abuse or neglect cases if certain conditions are met.
135. SB 94 Child abuse or neglect, photographs, videotapes, or other electronic images allowed.
136. HB 1297 Abuse and neglect, certain provisions regarding parents and children revised.
137. HB 1026 Long-term foster care as a permanent plan.
MENTALLY ILL PERSONS
138. HB 1085 County board of mental illness, person may serve more than two terms.
139. HB 1130 Involuntary commitment of certain mentally ill persons, provisions revised.
140. SB 53 Human Services Center used as a regional facility for certain emergency commitments.
141. SB 54 Review of court-ordered treatment, requirement for personal examination revised.
142. SB 55 Cost of care and treatment at the Human Services Center, method to calculate revised.
143. SB 52 Mental illness commitments, criteria to allocate costs revised.
UNIFORM PROBATE CODE
144. HB 1102 Disclaimer of property interest, provisions revised.
145. HB 1092 Special administrator, provisions for appointment revised.
146. HB 1094 Guardianship and conservatorship, certain provisions revised.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
147. HB 1055 State trunk highway system revised.
148. SB 60 State trunk highway system, criteria established.
149. SB 7 County road and bridge fund established.
150. HB 1262 Road district, procedure to form revised.
151. HB 1070 Road districts authorized to post and enforce speed and weight limits and formation requirements revised.
152. HB 1144 Township roads, maintenance and repairs assessment increased.
153. SB 172 Motor vehicles, disclosure of damage provisions revised.
154. HB 1176 License plates and stickers, fee for mailing.
155. SB 243 Specialty license plates and decals, procedure to issue revised.
156. HB 1193 Temporary supplemental lot, definition revised.
157. SB 40 Temporary snowmobile license permits, prohibitions established.
158. HB 1042 Secretary of commerce and regulation may issue a restricted license under certain circumstances.
159. HB 1207 Driver's license revocation increased for certain drug offenses.
160. SB 176 Firearms, possession restricted on off-road vehicles.
161. SB 93 Agricultural products, certain exemptions related to hauling revised.
162. SB 59 Commercial vehicle weigh scale tickets used to enforce vehicle weight restrictions.
163. HB 1134 Harvest vehicles, speed exemption increased.
164. HB 1217 Driving under the influence subsequent offense, time period to determine revised.
165. HB 1063 Restricted license for persons under 21 years of age convicted of driving under the influence.
166. HB 1052 Accident records, fees for search.
169. SB 126 Patient information received by ambulance service is confidential.
170. HB 1029 Critical access hospital defined.
171. HB 1223 Deceased person's medical records, who has access revised.
172. HB 1028 Residential care facility inspected with the consent of the person-in-charge.
173. SB 57 Alcohol and drug abuse facilities, additional accreditation authority.
174. SB 31 Drugs listed as Schedule III controlled substances.
175. SB 22 Vital records provisions revised.
180. SB 204 General permits for water pollution control, violations revised.
181. SB 39 Safe drinking water provisions revised to comply with the federal Safe Drinking Water Act.
182. SB 38 Regulated substance response fund appropriation.
183. SB 14 Alcoholic beverage business, penalty for failure to obtain a license.
184. HB 1053 Open container law revised.
185. HB 1160 Special retail on-sale wine dealers' license, local government may issue temporary license.
186. HB 1296 Alcoholic beverage licensing, criminal liability restricted and administrative sanctions imposed.
187. HB 1107 Beer industry, certain provisions revised.
188. HB 1199 Alcoholic beverages, sale to certain persons revised.
PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
189. HB 1189 Professions and occupations, repeal the review process for new boards and
190. SB 47 License renewal fees for certain medical professionals revised.
191. HB 1282 Confidentiality of certain patient records revised.
192. HB 1299 Certain health professions, practice revised.
193. HB 1135 Dentistry practice, limited exception allowed.
194. HB 1099 Cosmetology, exemption to practice revised.
195. HB 1283 Certain professions relating to architecture, engineering, and land surveying regulated.
196. SB 45 State Board of Funeral Service, notice of meetings revised.
197. HB 1058 Board of Accountancy, authority revised.
200. SB 194 Agricultural equipment dealers, provisions regarding dealership contracts
201. HB 1049 Weights and measures standards updated.
202. HB 1302 Deceptive advertising in telephone directories or on the Internet, provisions revised.
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
203. SB 88 Northern Crops Institute, appropriation.
ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
204. SB 95 Livestock packer transactions regulated.
205. SB 164 Livestock packer transactions, certain practices prohibited.
206. HB 1014 Livestock regulation, inspection, transportation, certain provisions revised.
207. HB 1163 Brand renewal fee increase authorized.
208. HB 1287 Livestock ownership inspection fee, increase authorized.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
209. HB 1040 Unlawful taking of mountain lions established and other restrictions repealed.
210. HB 1038 The system for issuing and selling licenses, permits, and stamps by agents of the Department of Game, Fish and Parks, revised.
211. HB 1041 Special resident small game and fishing license, annual renewal requirement removed.
212. SB 91 Landowner preference, contiguous lands may be hunted.
213. HB 1039 Professional bird dog trainer defined for the purpose of licensing and certain big game licensing repealed.
214. SB 41 Game, Fish and Parks laws violations, the requirement to appear in court revised.
215. SB 42 Park license required to enter certain areas in the state park system.
216. SB 76 Corporate acknowledgment, evidence of authority to execute certain documents.
217. HB 1279 Mechanics' liens, provisions revised.
218. SB 217 Expenditures authorized for certain water projects.
219. HB 1109 Nonprofit corporations, procedure to amend articles of incorporation revised.
220. SB 48 Viatical settlements regulated.
221. HB 1093 Limited liability company, exemption from filing fee.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
222. HB 1106 Railroads, certain tax benefits repealed and eminent domain authority revised.
223. HB 1037 Motor carrier regulations and eligibility for certain permits revised.
224. SB 239 Telecommunications services, certain provisions revised.
225. SB 149 Telecommunications companies, cost recovery method to recover cost of mandated services.
226. SB 151 Telecommunications companies, regulation of prices revised.
227. SB 238 Public Utilities Commission may regulate certain telecommunications services.
228. HB 1112 Public water systems, tampering provision revised.
229. HB 1108 Certain utilities authorized to remove vegetation that threatens their operations.
230. SB 37 Pipeline safety inspection program, federal references updated.
231. SB 36 Public grain warehouse operator may request the Public Utilities Commission to measure grain.
232. HB 1095 Telecommunication services, a certain Public Utilities Commission rule amended.
BANKS AND BANKING
233. HB 1047 State-chartered banks allowed federally chartered bank powers under certain
234. HB 1045 Bank examination records confidentiality provisions revised.
235. HB 1142 Bank's stock and surplus, amount invested in value of premises increased.
236. HB 1128 Bank borrowing, regulated.
DEBTOR AND CREDITOR
237. HB 1046 Consumer installment sales contracts to include motor vehicles.
238. SB 44 Delinquent installment loan collection.
239. SB 43 Money lenders and mortgage lenders, certain licensing exemptions removed.
240. SB 50 Life and health insurance, standards for advertisement and sale established.
241. SB 75 Insurance fraud, prevention unit established.
242. HB 1009 Managed care plan required to appoint physician or other health care professional as medical director.
243. HB 1012 Managed care plan responsible for its utilization review program.
244. HB 1013 Managed care plans required to cover emergency services.
245. SB 236 Managed care plans, standards and registration established.
246. SB 235 Managed care plans, full disclosure of information required.
247. SB 137 Insurance coverage for appurtenant property, provisions revised.
248. SB 134 Dental care, health insurance required to cover.
249. HB 1255 Alcohol coverage limited under certain insurance policies.
250. HB 1050 Creditable coverage for health insurance to include short-term plans.
251. HB 1264 Biologically-based mental illness, term defined.
252. HB 1121 Health insurance, coverage for diabetes mandated.
253. HB 1056 Coordination of benefits for group health plans.
254. SB 98 Bail bondsperson must be licensed.
255. SB 77 Third-party administrator of certain insurance, date for annual report revised.
256. HB 1089 Insurance agents, appointment provisions revised.
257. HB 1087 Insurance agents, loans from clients restricted.
258. HB 1044 Continuing education reports for insurance agents, dates revised.
259. HB 1256 Cancellation of certain insurance policies, provisions to limit revised.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
260. HB 1024 Minimum wage for employees under 20 years of age, revised.
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE
This page is maintained by the Legislative Research Council